An Internet Dictionary
The computer industry and the Internet are adding new words everyday to our language. Learn the meaning of these new terms in words you can understand.
- A Tip Before You Begin
- This Internet Dictionary is easy to use. To find what you are looking for, click on the first letter of any word you want to find.
- If you need more information, click on the highlighted words that appear in this dictionary. You will jump to another definition or a window will pop up in this screen.
- When you are through viewing the pop-up window, click anywhere in
this main screen to make it temporarily disappear. To permanently close it, click on boxed X in the upper right hand corner of the pop-up window.
- A World Wide Web document containing hyperlinks. Visit Whatis.com, an online dictionary, for more information on page.
- Any cut or copied text or images that are placed in a document.
- A file's address. A path indicates which directory/sub-directory/folder/file name to follow to find, open or save a document. F:/home/webpage/index.html is a path name with "/ "separating each level. "F:" is the main directory with a "home" subdirectory, containing a "webpage" folder with a file named "index.html."
In this Web page example, http://www.altavista.digital.com/av/content/about.htm. the path indicates where the "about.htm" file is on the Web. The path shows this is an HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) file on the www. (World Wide Web) at the "altavista.digital.com" domain name in a series of sub-domains "/av/content/" to reach the file "about.htm."
- pdf file or PDF
- An abbreviation for Portable Document Format. A document created using Adobe Acrobat. To view a PDF file, download the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe. PDF files end in filename.pdf. Visit Whatis.com, an online dictionary, for more information on PDF.
- plug-in software
- A computer program that runs within a Web page. These specialized software programs let users view files or multimedia created with that particular software. The software must already be loaded on the computer or downloaded to the computer for the user to view.
- A set of rules for computers on the Internet to communicate with each other.
- pull-down menu
- Also called drop down menu. A list of concealed commands or selections that appear when clicked on.
- push button
- A button the user clicks to do some action, such as submit a form.
Go back to the top of the page.
Look up words beginning with O.
Look up words beginning with Q.
Parents & Teachers