An Internet Dictionary
The computer industry and the Internet are adding new words everyday to our language. Learn the meaning of these new terms in words you can understand.
- A Tip Before You Begin
- This Internet Dictionary is easy to use. To find what you are looking for, click on the first letter of any word you want to find.
- If you need more information, click on the highlighted words that appear in this dictionary. You will jump to another definition or a window will pop up in this screen.
- When you are through viewing the pop-up window, click anywhere in
this main screen to make it temporarily disappear. To permanently close it, click on boxed X in the upper right hand corner of the pop-up window.
- A file that contains Frequently Asked Questions and answers.
- A document saved on a computer,
- A computer command to create a place to create or store a document.
A file contains information stored under a unique name. The user typically types an eight-letter file name when saving a file.
- file name
- The name given a file. Users type an eight-letter file name in a dialog box.
- floppy drive
- The section of the computer that houses the A: drive.
- A thin slot in the front of the computer that holds and reads or saves information and files off the floppy disk into the computer's memory.
- floppy disk
- Also called disk or diskette. A 31" or 5 3" disk that holds computer information, files or programs.
- A document where the user enters information sent to a remote computer. The user types information in the form and clicks on the "Submit" button.
- Software programs that are free to use. These download to the user's computer from the Internet or users freely exchange them.
- An abbreviation for File Transfer Protocol, a way to transfer files to and from remote computers. Visit Whatis.com, an online dictionary, for more information on FTP.
Go back to the top of the page.
Look up words beginning with E.
Look up words beginning with G.
Parents & Teachers